What are vitamins?

Vitamins are organic compounds that are not synthesized by the body therefore needed in the diet. They are required for growth, function and development of the body. 13 vitamins are required by the body. They are categorised into fat soluble and water soluble vitamins. The fat-soluble vitamins are stored in body fatty tissue. There are […]

What is vasectomy?

A vasectomy is defined as type of male sterilization that controls birth. For pregnancy, sperm has to pass from testicles to the male urethra. Therefore, in vasectomy there is sealing or cutting of vas deferens. It prevents the sperm from travelling the urethra. Vasectomy males cannot cause pregnancy as they have no sperm in his […]

How are traits expressed?

Proteins are responsible for expression of traits. They are represented by genotype and phenotype of an individual. Genotype is the genetic constitution of a trait and phenotype is the physical character of a trait. The DNA contains information which are needed to make the proteins which are essential for growth, development and immunity of body. […]

Why must DNA replicate exactly?

DNA replicate exactly so that after cell division each daughter cell will receive complete set of genetic information and by this traits are preserved. In DNA replication, DNA makes copies of itself after cell division. Thus, if DNA replication does not occur then newly formed cells would eventually die. DNA replication is semiconservative which means […]

What is DNA?

DNA is the building block of a gene and each gene codes for a specific protein. A person has 20,000 to 25-000 genes that account for nearly 3 percent of our DNA. Scientists are not clear about the functionality of the remaining 97 percent that may take part in controlling the genes. In a basic […]