TYPE OF MULTIPLE CHOICE QUESTIONS
Select the statement(s) that apply to both DNA replication and RNA transcription.
- Separation of the DNA strands (“unzipping”)
- A requirement for a primer
- Directionality of synthesis
- Base-pairing of complementary nucleotides
- Energy to drive the process is provided by triphosphate nucleotides
All statements are common to both DNA replication and transcription except : A requirement for a primer
- A) Unzipping required in replication where unwinding the strands of DNA to expose and read bases .
In transcription two strands of DNA is separated so that the bases are accessed.
- B) RNA pol don’t need a primer because it is already a RNA which will not be turned in DNA, as in Replication. It needs promoter.
- C) DNA polymerase synthesize from 5′ to 3′ direction
RNA polymerase form new RNA strand in the 5’ to 3’ direction
- D) DNA contains complementary base pairs in which adenine bonds to thymine (A−T) and guanine to cytosine (G−C).
During transcription uracil replaces the position of thymine and forms complementary pairs with adenine.
- E) Metabolic processes uses ATP as an energy source convert it back into its precursors.
So answer is A, C, D, E